Dealer lauded for civic mission

first_imgEmard is a member of Honda Dealer 20 Group; president of Palmdale Sheriff Boosters; two-term chairman of the Palmdale Chamber of Commerce; member of the Children’s Center of the Antelope Valley governing board; past chairman for American Cancer Societies Relay for Life; founder of Thunder on the Lot charity car and motorcycle show; director on the Antelope Valley Board of Trade; founder of Dollars from Heaven annual holiday fundraiser; founder of the Kid’s Charities of the Antelope Valley; past chairman of Heart Sounds charity event, and United Way Telethon host and contributor.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PALMDALE – Robertson Palmdale Honda was honored with the 36th Assembly District’s Salute to Small Business award. Robertson Palmdale Honda managing partner Ron Emard received the award from Assemblywoman Sharon Runner, R-Lancaster, at a luncheon in the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Sacramento. “Ron Emard and Robertson Palmdale Honda exemplify the best tradition of entrepreneurial success and civic commitment,” Runner said. “Ron and his company have earned a reputation for leadership in starting and sustaining enormously successful charitable programs to benefit youth throughout the region. He is also a major contributor to the United Way, the Antelope Valley Fair and countless other worthwhile organizations.” Emard is also the owner of Harley Davidson of the Antelope Valley, located in Lancaster. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Emard has spent 40 years in the automotive industry. He began his career as a salesman for David Hamza Motors in Oxnard. In 1976 he was hired as general sales manager for Nesen Motor Car Co. He has been general manager at Robertson Honda in North Hollywood for 12 years and general managing partner at Robertson Palmdale Honda for 11 years. In 2004 he became the principal owner and partner of the Harley Davidson dealership in Lancaster. last_img read more

60s Scoop survivors accuse government of backtracking after legal battle

first_imgTORONTO – Survivors of the ’60s Scoop accuse the Liberal government of opting for further hard-ball litigation, despite losing a bitterly fought legal battle, as a way to avoid paying compensation to thousands who were taken from reserves in Ontario as children and placed with non-native families.Even though Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett has admitted Canada wronged the aboriginal children and said she wanted a settlement, Justice Department lawyers appear to be on a different path.Documents obtained by The Canadian Press indicate federal lawyers are fighting an attempt to move into a damages phase after Superior Court Justice Edward Belobaba ruled in February that Canada had breached its “duty of care” to the children.The decision had prompted Bennett to say the government would “absolutely” not appeal and would try to resolve the issue.However, a day after a May 11 meeting to start hammering out settlement details, according to those present, a government lawyer argued Belobaba had not found the government liable for the harm suffered by thousands of on-reserve children who lost contact with their roots after placement in non-aboriginal homes.Belobaba asked for a written explanation on the issue, which was provided late last week.“The court and the parties always contemplated that class identification, causation, damages and quantum of damages would have to be determined individually,” the government lawyers said in a memo to the judge.“The summary-judgment decision does not establish liability — the claim is pleaded in negligence — and while duty of care and breach have been established on behalf of the class, causation in fact and damages still need to be proven individually.”In addition, the government insists there’s “no evidence” of how many people are involved and deciding on a total amount of damages is impossible.Ahead of a hearing with Belobaba scheduled for Wednesday, a lawyer for the plaintiffs in the case called the government’s position “mean and cruel.”“With the Conservative government, we got an abject ‘forget it, get lost’,” Jeffery Wilson said. “With the Liberal government, we got talk of reconciliation (but) instead we get this.”Wilson, who represents lead plaintiff Chief Marcia Brown Martel, accused Ottawa of rendering Belobaba’s ruling meaningless by essentially pushing for thousands of individual trials. Canada, he said, was undoing the spirit of reconciliation by indicating it would litigate to the very end.A senior Bennett spokesman, however, denied the government was trying to back-pedal on its admission of culpability or obligation to compensate the Scoop victims. Nor is there an attempt at a back-door appeal of Belobaba’s ruling, he said.“The government admits that there is a liability but determining what that amount is means you need to look at what the individual experience was,” James Fitz-Morris said from Ottawa. “We’re saying that we need to hear from individuals as to what was the range of harm that was done to them, and not re-arguing that there was harm. We’re not re-arguing that.”At the same time, Fitz-Morris said, the government was committed to pursuing an out-of-court settlement with all ’60s Scoop victims across Canada. About 18 other class actions have been filed.“We really are looking at this like two streams and they’re not mutually exclusive,” Fitz-Morris said. “Just because they’re continuing with the quantum hearing doesn’t mean that we’re going to back away from negotiations.”The class action Belobaba ruled on, launched eight years ago, sought $1.3 billion on behalf of about 16,000 indigenous children in Ontario — roughly $85,000 for each child harmed by being placed in non-aboriginal homes from 1965 to 1984 under terms of a federal-provincial agreement.Brown Martel, who has proposed claimants chip in settlement money for a new national healing foundation, a scholarship or chair at a university, said she would welcome a national settlement.Yet her disappointment at how the government was now behaving toward her group of victims was palpable.“It’s actually very disheartening. It’s very sad,” Brown Martel said in an interview. “What they’re saying now is just negating everything that Justice Belobaba had to say. What I hear Carolyn Bennett say and what I see the government of Canada do is contrary.”last_img read more

Finance Minister keeps making headlines talks tourism finance and foreign policy

first_img Recommended for you Related Items:beaches resort, finance, finance minister, foreign policy, global forum, ta haven, tourism, washington misick Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 30 Jun 2015 – The Finance Minister was featured in a number of local and regional articles where he is speaking to several key issues in the aftermath of alarming comments made during a debate on cleanliness in the TCI which went askew. Hon Washington Misick is vocal on the situation in the Dominican Republic where Haitians are being expelled from that country; the inclusion of the Turks and Caicos on the EU’s recently released Tax Havens list and even the value of Beaches Resort to the TCI tourism economy and product. On the EU categorization, Minister Washington Misick takes exception to us being on that list and said the TCI is compliant with Global Forum standards and that the country plans to work with the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the Global Forum and its sister territories to express collective concern to the EC. A Jamaica Observer article quotes Minister Misick on Beaches being the single largest contributor and a major employer and having positive effect on the airlift to the country; Misick was explaining that his recent controversial comments in the House of Assembly had nothing to do with legal workers in the Turks and Caicos however the various flag days are held and organized by the legal expat groups in the TCI; those events were the subject of the Finance Minister’s ridicule. On the new legal position of the Dominican Republic which has forced tens of thousands of Haitians to leave the neighboring country, the Minister in response the Jamaica Observer question, which appeared to be aimed at ferreting out whether foreigners in this country would be treated similarly said, “The Policy is blatantly abusive and wrong. It is something the Turks and Caicos Islands would never do.” Magnetic Media has learned that journalists from around the region have taken keen interest in the comments of Minister Washington Misick and others who appeared to be anti-foreign. Misick, who is also a former Chief Minister, has taken exception to the comments featured first in the TCI Sun Newspaper; saying the remarks are not in keeping with his reputation and are misunderstood. Survey shows TCI beaches keep visitors coming Baha Mar deal should not be secret Turks & Caicos drops to #4 Island in the World; Hotel owner sounds off Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Pet Patrol Poodles on Parade

first_img Updated: 6:23 PM May 12, 2018 Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: May 12, 2018 Jason Austell, center_img Jason Austell 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsPoodle lovers listen up! Poodles on Parade is coming to the Rancho Bernardo Community Park, May 19th.Sandie Lampe and Jason Austell hang out with some poodles and their owners to spread the poodle love and talk more about the event.For more information, visit: http://spiritofthefourth.org/PoodlesOnParade.html Pet Patrol: Poodles on Paradelast_img read more