Indonesia military to blame for 2014 Papua killings: Rights commission

first_imgRank-and-file soldiers and their superiors should shoulder the blame for the deaths of the students, aged 17 and 18, as well as “torturing” another 21 demonstrating Papuans, it said, without elaborating.The protests were sparked by the alleged beatings of other Papuan youths by the army. Security forces eventually opened fire on a crowd after demonstrators threw stones at a military office.The commission interviewed two dozen witnesses, analysed documents and visited the scene to determine whether the military was involved in the deaths.So far no-one has been charged.Topics : The military did not immediately respond to requests for comment.Komnas HAM said it had forwarded its dossier on the unrest to the country’s attorney general for possible prosecution.The probe was hampered by long delays due to attempts by unnamed individuals to hide evidence, the human rights commission said.’Torture’ Indonesia’s military shot dead four students in the country’s restive Papua region during 2014 protests and carried out “gross human rights violations”, a commission investigating the uprising concluded Monday.Komnas HAM issued its findings five years after the high-school students were gunned down in Paniai, a central area of insurgency-wracked Papua province, which shares a border with independent Papua New Guinea.”This incident constitutes crimes against humanity,” the commission’s chief investigator Muhammad Choirul Anam told AFP in a statement Monday.last_img read more

Maryland: New Bill Amendment Jeopardises US Wind, Skipjack Projects

first_imgThe Appropriations Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives has adopted a bill amendment that obstructs installing offshore wind turbines within 24 nautical miles (approx. 44 kilometres) from the coast of the State of Maryland, endangering the US Wind and Skipjack projects which were recently awarded Offshore Wind Renewable Energy Credits from the Public Service Commission.The amendment to the Interior Appropriations bill for Fiscal Year 2018, introduced by Representative Andy Harris, blocks the use of federal funds to conduct reviews of site assessment or construction and operation plans for wind turbines less than 24 nautical miles from Maryland coastline. This is the distance at which the turbines would not be visible from the coast, according to Harris.“Ocean City’s economy heavily relies on its real estate and tourism sectors, and there has not yet been a proper examination on whether construction of these wind turbines will have a negative economic impact on the community. If construction of these turbines too close to the shoreline will reduce property value or tourism, then the turbines may cause more issues than they solve,” Andy Harris stated.US Wind had already modified its initial plan after Ocean City Council expressed its concern over visual impact. The developer agreed to move the beginning of its offshore wind farm up to five miles eastward, which would reduce the visibility of any structures by more than 35%. Turbines were initially proposed to be installed 12 to 15 nautical miles offshore.Deepwater Wind’s Skipjack wind farm is proposed to be set up from 17 to 21 nautical miles offshore.Harris further added that neither US Wind nor Skipjack had provided evidence that their projects will bring the positive benefits outlined in the Offshore Wind Energy Act (OWEA), which guarantees that ratepayers across Maryland cannot be asked to contribute funds to a proposed project that does not ensure positive economic, environmental and health benefits to the state.On the other hand, after Maryland PSC approved the projects’ ORECs, Liz Burdock, Executive Director of the Business Network For Offshore Wind pointed out that the offshore wind farms would have a positive economic and environmental impact: “The award of these projects is the launching point for great economic growth for Maryland: its businesses, and its citizens. Maryland continues to lead–achieving the first commercial scale offshore wind projects in the United States, as well as reaping the environmental benefits of this largescale, clean, renewable energy”, Burdock said in May 2017.Offshore WIND Stafflast_img read more

John Leguizamo discusses Latinx representation, comedy

first_img“You can’t be an artist and want to please. I think you have to do your work and take the consequences,” Leguizamo said. CPD partnered with the Center Theatre Group to host the event in an effort to teach the USC community about the role of art in storytelling and how entertainment can be an educational tool. Leguizamo’s comedy show, which has been on Broadway and was a taped Netflix special, seeks to engage and educate audiences about the history of great Latinx contributions to the world. This type of shocking “cultural apartheid,” as Leguizamo put it, resulted in a gap in the American public’s knowledge concerning Latinx history, that Leguizamo strives to fill with his show. While researching the project, Leguizamo discovered that Latinx people were influential in all of American history, yet the stories of these heroes were not told in history classes.  “In ‘Latin History For Morons’ the ‘morons’ [are] all of us. We [Latin people] ourselves don’t know our contributions to America, let alone the world,” Leguizamo said. “The purpose of the show is to give Latinx people self-respect and to ask other people — non-Latin — to respect us [too].” Many audience members were curious about how Leguizamo was able to synthesize Latin American history and about whether he views himself as a cultural ambassador for Latinx people. Leguizamo said he thinks of himself less as a role model and more as a figure that his community can relate to.  “[Latin Americans] are the only ethnic group to have fought in every single war America has ever had,” Leguizamo said. “The second oldest ethnic group in America, after Native Americans.” “Latin kids had never seen a Latin person on stage,” he said. “I don’t go into it thinking I’m representing my people, but I do go into it thinking I’m talking to my people. I’m a mirror…so [Latinx people] can see themselves, to see that we have value … and [are] culturally relevant.” However, not everyone is as open-minded when watching the show. Leguizamo acknowledges that he cannot please everyone.  Taccone added that the show had to balance humor with respect and that no actor can make everyone happy.  John Leguizamo created “Latin History for Morons” in an effort to educate and empower all audiences. (Krystal Gallegos | Daily Trojan) Actor John Leguizamo discussed the creative process for his one-man comedy play, “Latin History for Morons,” with award-winning director Tony Taccone at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism Wednesday. Nearly 60 people attended the Center on Public Diplomacy event, titled “Latin History for Morons: Theatre and Public Diplomacy.”  “There are also comic edges, [like] at what point … [is a joke] too offensive … you try to find what the balance is,” Taccone said. “One of the great things about John is that he is equally skilled as a comic actor as he is as a dramatic actor.”  Leguizamo emphasized how the purpose of the show is to pay respect to the Latinx community.  He was inspired to create the show after learning that his 12-year-old son was getting bullied and racially profiled at school. He said that educating the public about Latinx history is empowering.  In his show, Leguizamo presents Latinx history with as much informational depth as he can, while striving to make it comedic in an attempt to keep the audience properly engaged with the historical material. His inspiration for this format was his own educational experience in school. Lenora Quinonez, a graduate student studying public diplomacy, found the event enlightening and appreciates Leguizamo’s goal to represent Latin history in a respectful and meaningful way.  Ashley Baird, a graduate student studying communication management, said she attended the event to learn more about Latinx culture.  “My husband is a Mexican immigrant … so I want to learn more about Latin culture,” Baird said.“My family has always been open-minded to other cultures, so I’m interested to learn more.”   “My favorite teachers and professors were always the most outrageous and the funniest,” Leguizamo said. “Tony and I took it to an exaggerated place as I want to reach young Latinx people.” “I don’t really know that much about Latin history,” she said, “but I’m more interested now.” last_img read more

This is the return of tennis: without public or handshakes, benches changed …

first_imgDustin Brown, who beat Rafa Nadal at Wimbledon 2015, is one of the nice stars of this exhibition event and mentioned on Tennis.com what he expects to be the return to competitors, scheduled for July 13 on the ATP circuit. “A pair of weeks in the past, we had no plans to return to the courts quickly. It has been a troublesome time as a result of it was tough to remain motivated whenever you don’t have a return date to play once more.”Brown, quantity 239 in the rating, reviewed how this curious expertise is being. “It is completely different to play when there is no public however, regardless of every part, I feel that every one the gamers are glad to be on the courtroom to play and compete.” Will probably be seen if the relaxation of the tournaments take the identical measures when the competitors returns with the nice rackets of the ATP and WTA circuits. Tennis has taken a large step this weekend on its strategy to returning to competitors after the break on account of the coronavirus pandemic. Some of the most excellent rackets in German tennis are enjoying from the 1st and till this Monday the exhibition event Tennis Level Exhibition Sequence at the Base Tennis Membership in Höhr-Grenzhausen, Germany.This event is the first (unofficial) competitors with skilled tennis gamers to be held on the circuit since the Indian Wells Masters 1,000 was suspended at the starting of March and it is the first of the three tournaments included in the Tennis Level Exhibition Sequence (the second will likely be from Could 7 to 10 and the third from 14 to 17).The Tennis Level Exhibition Sequence are additionally giving us a number of clues on what a return to official competitors in the world of tennis could be like. On the courts of the Höhr-Grenzhausen Base Tennis the event is being performed without an viewers in the stands: solely the two tennis gamers who play the sport and the chair choose are current who runs it. Moreover, the Gamers’ benches are situated on reverse sides of the courtroom to keep away from potential contagion and the gamers don’t shake arms at the starting and finish of the match. As well as, some gamers took to the courtroom protected with masks.last_img read more

NCAA: San Beda zooms to 7th straight win, turns back San Sebastian

first_imgFor the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Down 1-3, UP needs to start winning for a shot at Final 4 Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ View commentscenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Bulanadi and Ilagan still put up 23 and 20 points, respectively, but that came at the expense of high volume shooting as the two went a combined 14-of-29 from the field while Calisaan went 2-of-9 for seven points.“I really salute San Sebastian because Bualanadi and Ilagan can shoot and also Calisaan did his job,” said Fernandez. “We really planned on those three guys and we wanted to limit them and play good defense against them.”“We were there but they still made their shots and they made a good job adjusting to our defense.”Mocon led the Red Lions’ hunt with 20 points, 11 rebounds, and four assists while Robert Bolick had 18 points and four dimes.Donald Tankoua had his own double-double of 16 points and 14 rebounds for San Beda.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next San Beda’s victory, however, didn’t come in a cruise after the Stags suddenly turned into a threat early in the fourth quarter taking a 65-64.That small buffer proved to be the Stags’ last saving grace after Robert Bolick scored five straight points to hand San Beda a 69-65 lead.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissJavee Mocon then iced San Sebastian with two straight triples for the Red Lions’ 82-72 lead.San Beda head coach Boyet Fernandez said they focused on making San Sebastian’s star trio of Allyn Bulanadi, RK Ilagan, and Michael Calisaan work for their shots. GO AHEAD. Robert Bolick give San Beda back the lead in the fourth quarter. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Beda moved closer to another Final Four berth after dispatching San Sebastian, 82-75, in the NCAA Season 94 men’s basketball tournament Thursday at Filoil Flying V Centre.The Red Lions extended their winning streak to seven games and tied Lyceum atop the standings with a 13-1 record. They also clinched least a playoff for a Final Four berth.ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taallast_img read more

DDTV: GARDAI TO REVIEW DONEGAL DRINK DRIVE CASE – BUT MAN CAN’T BE CHARGED AGAIN

first_imgDDTV: GARDAÍ say they are reviewing a case where a Donegal man who failed a breath test had the case against him dropped.Assistant Commissioner with the National Traffic Bureau John Twomey said he didn’t believe the case would have “any impact on further such cases”. He said the decision was being reviewed at senior level, but that no changes to procedure were envisaged.However the man involved in the case – reported on Donegal Daily – will NOT face new charges.His case has already been struck out and cannot be re-entered.Sean McKeown had his case struck out after the DPP decided it would not pursue the case against him.McKeown, 40, of Abbey Park, Manorcunningham was stopped by Gardai on November 13, 2011 and admitted to drinking and then subsequently failed a breath test.However solicitor Ciaran MacLochlainn had argued that the case should be struck out because it was illegal.He said the Mandatory Alcohol Testing (MAT) checkpoint was unlawful because the document authorising it had listed three different townlands.The solicitor quoted legislation saying “An authorisation shall be in writing and shall specify the date on which and the public place in which the checkpoint is to be established.”He told Judge Kelly: “It is clear that once an officer above the rank of inspector has signed authorisation for a MAT checkpoint that it must only specify one public place and one only.“The law does not allow for multiple choices for gardai below that rank and in this case that is precisely what the authorisation allowed for.The case had been put back until yesterday to allow the Director of Public Prosecutions to review the case.Garda Inspector Goretti Sheridan told Letterkenny District Court yesterday that the DPP had advised to withdraw the case.Solicitor MacLochlainn told Judge Paul Kelly previously that he had already had a similar case struck out.It is now feared that hundreds of similar cases due to come before the courts since the 2004 Road Traffic Act could also be challenged.It is now understood that Gardai name one specific location and not multiple locations for MAT checkpoints.DDTV: GARDAI TO REVIEW DONEGAL DRINK DRIVE CASE – BUT MAN CAN’T BE CHARGED AGAIN was last modified: January 21st, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DDTV: GARDAI TO REVIEW DONEGAL DRINK DRIVE CASE – BUT MAN CAN’T BE CHARGED AGAINlast_img read more